Thursday, April 8, 2010

Working From The Right Premise

Well... by these pictures one might assume that we made it to the ocean on our recent trip.
You would be correct.
You would be "working from the right premise".
premise: a basis, stated or assumed, on which reasoning proceeds
:to set forth beforehand, as by way of introduction or explanation
The other day I was listening to a song by Rich Mullins. It is one I have always liked. It was interesting to me to note the way I felt differently about it, than I remember I used to...
The song goes:
"You who live in heaven, hear the prayers of those of us who live on earth,
Who are afraid of being left by those we love and who get hardened by the hurt.
Do you remember when You lived down here where we all scrape
To find the faith to ask for daily bread?
Did You forget about us after You had flown away?
Well, I memorized every word You said, still I'm so scared I'm holdin' my breath
While You're up there just playin' hard to get.
You who live in radiance, hear the prayers of those of us who live in skin.
We have a love that's not as patient as Yours was, still we do love now and then.
Did You ever know loneliness? Did You ever know need?
Do You remember just how long a night can get?
When You are barely holdin' on and Your friends fall asleep, and don't see the blood that's runnin' in Your sweat...
Will those who mourn be left uncomforted?...while You're up there just playin' hard to get.
I know You bore our sorrows, and I know You feel our pain.
And I know it would not hurt any less even if it could be explained.
And I know that I am only lashing out at the One who loves me most
And after I have figured this, somehow, all I really need to know...
Is if You who live in eternity hear the prayers of those of us who live in time?
We can't see what's ahead and we cannot get free of what we've left behind.
I'm reelin' from the voices that keep screaming in my ears.
All the words of shame and doubt, blame and regret.
I can't see how You're leading me unless You've led me here
To be lost enough to let myself be led.
And so You've been here all along, I guess...
It's just Your ways and You, are just plain hard to get."
Hearing this song again took me back to whenever I last listened to it. I remember feeling so familiar with the feelings it expresses...
But not so much anymore... He doesn't feel so hard to get... which set me to thinking and wondering... what's changed?
That's when the phrase "working from the wrong (or) right premise" crept into my mind.
Which stirred the question... "What is the "right" premise?
I mulled it over a bit... love? God is love. The 2 greatest commandments... Everything works together for the good... His thoughts towards us are good...
Lots of thoughts flickered in and out.
Suddenly, clearly, I had my answer...
"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it MORE ABUNDANTLY!"
This is the premise, from which all our wonderings and reasonings should proceed. This is the end He is working toward. If we can believe this, His ways are no longer so hard to get.
This premise is His promise to us.
Choose life!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: